The SLA High Growth Coaching Program is a 3-month program to provide growth focused entrepreneurs with coaching and support to scale their businesses.
This is a digital program open to women led businesses across Nigeria.
The High Growth Coaching Program is an exclusive opportunity to develop an action plan for your business with support from your own personal business coach and a community of women to keep you accountable.
- 3 months of intensive training on business and operational skills
- Access to a private community of high achieving founders
- Check-in calls with a personal business coach
- Monthly virtual support group meetings
- Personalised scorecards to keep track of weekly lessons and your business
- Support in creating a roadmap of tangible business goals
Check out highlights from previous SLA coaching programs
The 2020 SLA High Growth Coaching Program is run in partnership with the Work in Progress! Alliance – a consortium of Oxfam, Butterfly Works and VC4A focused on driving job creation and youth employment in Nigeria.
The Work in Progress! Alliance is focused on unlocking the economic potential of young women and men in Egypt, Nigeria and Somalia. The project aims to enable them to generate sustainable and living incomes – by finding regular employment or starting enterprises.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do applications close?
Applications will be open until June 20, 2020 at 11:59 pm WAT. Any late applications will not be considered regardless of the circumstances.
Who is eligible to apply? Your business must fulfill all of the following criteria…
We are looking for entrepreneurs who have launched their businesses and are looking for targeted support to grow and scale. The businesses must be based in Nigeria or have operations in the country.
Do I need to be Nigerian to apply?
You do not need to be Nigerian to apply but your business needs to be based in Nigeria.
Are foundations, nonprofits or NGOs eligible?
The coaching program does not support or provide grants to nonprofits, NGOs or foundations. Businesses with a social mission or CSR programs integrated into their businesses are eligible.
Is there a fee to participate?
There is no fee to apply or participate in the High Growth Coaching Program.
Can I apply even if I have applied for other SLA programs in previous years?
Previous applicants are eligible to apply but must demonstrate growth and integration of any previous feedback received since the last application.
If I have two businesses can I apply with both?
We only allow one application per person, so please submit your strongest business.
If my business has two female cofounders should we both apply separately?
Only one application per business is accepted, regardless of the number of female co-founders.
Can I apply even if my business is not registered?
Is my company eligible if I founded it with a man?
Yes, your company is eligible.
Do I have to be a member of the SLA community to apply?
No but we encourage you to join to access helpful tips to assist in your application. You can easily be a part of the SLA community by joining here.
Must I attend the info sessions to apply?
Info sessions are optional, however attending will give you an opportunity to receive answers to the questions you might have about the High Growth Coaching Program and learn useful tips that will strengthen your application.
How do I know that my application has been received?
Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, only semi-finalists will be notified.
Can I submit my application in another language?
At this time we are only able to accept applications in English.
What do I need for my application?
- Complete the online form HERE
- Submit a 1-minute pitch video (optional)
- Submit a pitch deck
How do I submit the online form?
What should be in the pitch video?
We want to learn more about you and give you a chance to express why your business is unique and interesting. The video does not need to be professional, you can take it on your phone or from your computer, but please ensure the video is audible.
What is a pitch deck?
A pitch deck is a brief presentation, typically created using PowerPoint, Keynote or Prezi, that tells the story of your business in a simple but compelling way.
Does my pitch deck need to be designed by a professional?
Your pitch deck does not need professional expertise, but it should be easy to understand. Use a balance of diagrams/graphics, visuals and text to tell your story.
How long should my pitch deck be?
Your pitch deck should not be longer than 10-15 slides.
What exactly should be in a pitch deck?
- Your vision: What do you do? How do you do it? Why do you do it?
- The problem: Tell a personal story that defines the problem that your product solves. What does your product do? Why does the market care?
- The solution: Discuss why your product is the solution and what sets it apart from anything else in the marketplace.
- Your track record: Share growth statistics, including notable client wins, milestones met to date and total number of customers.
- Your business model: Detail how you plan to make money. Keep it simple and be specific.
- The growth plan: Show how you plan to grow by leaps and bounds and how you will position your product for market dominance. Use sales and growth data (real and projected) to show why your startup is like a coiled spring ready to pop.
- Your team: Talk about your top-notch team and why they’re uniquely positioned to address the problem your product solves while building a large, disruptive business.
- Your investment needs: Expand on what you need in detail. How much money do you want to raise? How exactly will you use it? If you’ve already raised some capital or have notable investors and advisors, explain who invested, what they invested (money, time, advice), why they got on board, and how you’re using their money (or expertise).
Where can I find sample pitch decks?
- Download our guide on how to make a pitch deck that brings in the cash
Where can I find help in putting my pitch deck together?
However here are a couple of SLA resources you should definitely use
- Download our guide on how to make a pitch deck that brings in the cash
- Check out our video on YouTube on our application pet peeves
- Check out some articles we have on SheLeadsAfrica.org that cover pitching such as Four things you must have to be pitch perfect
How do I submit my pitch deck?
Pitch decks must be uploaded to your VC4A profile in order for your application to be complete. Do not send it via email to She Leads Africa. Find out how to do so here.
Will I be able to change my application once it has been submitted?
Once an application is submitted it is final, and we will not be able to facilitate any changes to the application.
What do I do if the application system is not working?
Please refresh the page or try a new browser. If this does not work, send a message to VC4A on Twitter or Facebook to request for help. It is advisable to apply at least a week before the deadline, so that you do not have to deal with latency or technical issues.
When will applicants find out if they’ve been selected as a semi-finalist?
Semi finalists will be notified of their status by July 30, 2019.
Will applicants receive personal feedback about their application?
Unfortunately, due to the number of applications we receive, we will not be able to provide personalised feedback on your application.
How are the semi-finalists and finalists selected?
Our review committee will be evaluating applications against several critical factors:
- Proof of Concept
- Clear problem, which the candidate is hoping to solve
- Well-defined solution
- Pathway to monetizing the proposed solution
- Understanding of Competitive Landscape
- Candidates should be able to describe competitive landscape comprehensively
- Candidates should be able to identify risks and propose mitigants for risks identified
- Management Team
- Assessment of personnel capabilities
- Strengths of the team align with startup needs
- Clear understanding of how this business will make money and the key value drivers
- Specific investment ask and a plan for how they will utilise the funds
- Reasonable investment ask for their stage of business
- Clear understanding of their customer demand
- Clear identification of their sales pipeline
When and where will the trainings be?
This is a virtual coaching program so all trainings will be conducted online.
Am I allowed to miss parts of the trainings?
No, the trainings are mandatory for every company in the program.
What was the experience like for previous participants?
Dara Adekunkle, Founder of Farmties, told us “The [program] really helped with defining my business and creating our process of operations. My team and I are able to streamline and focus on our core competence in achieving our business objectives,” while Jumoke Dada, Founder of Taeillo, said “The [program] opened my mind to new opportunities that I didn’t know existed.” Chika Madubuko, Founder of Greymate Care, added “Get ready to work really hard. There will be a lot of criticism but it is for your benefit.”
Where should I send my questions?
If your questions have not been answered in this document, please email email@example.com with the subject line “SLA High Growth Coaching Program”.